I went over to a friend's house in another small town near Big City. The floods wiped out his basement, but luckily his house is 2 cinder blocks higher than any other in the neighborhood. ONLY his basement was flooded unlike his neighbors. After a few hours of work I needed to leave, but we're chatting a bit in the driveway. The topic of conversation is an ancient coal fired furnace that hasn't been used in 50 years, but still inhabits the basement.
Me: $1,200 just to take out that furnace! I guess it's best that insurance will replace your gas one, but that rusting hulk takes up so much space.
Flooded Friend: I wonder if I could talk to some scrappers who would demolish it for free just for the scrape value of the cast iron?
Me: There's an idea. They're going to need some acetylene torches to cut that thing up. You got easily 1,000 to 1,500 lbs of cast iron down there.
*Wolfrham starts to vaguely recall some old science.*
*mutters to self and gets quizical look from friend*
Me: All that cast iron...all that CAST iron...all that CAST IRON!!!! Dude, you don't need a ton of torches, you need a few sledgehammers and some beer for some helpful friends! Cast iron is a very brittle metal. Hit that old furnace with a sledgehammer and it'll shatter into a 1,000 pieces.
Flooded Friend: *thinks about it for a few seconds* Beer and burger for you guys would be a lot cheaper than $1,200!
Ford shoots down latest rumor of a Fiesta RS
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment