Wednesday, January 21, 2009

KITT vs KARR: The Smackdown Of Lameness!

The original Knight Rider is the quintesence of early 1980's Glen Larson cheesetasticness. David Hasselhoff and a talking indestructible car as crime fighters. BRILLANT! Combined with The A-Team, The Dukes Of Hazzard, Airwolf, The Equalizer, and MacGyver there was no better run of television shows.

My childhood has been tampered due to the abomination known as the current Knight Rider series. The movie was horrible. I've tried to watch something of the new series, but after 5 minutes my stomach curdles at the sheer volume of crap I'm forced to endure. Bad writing, bad stories, horrible logic, and too many characters.

For tonight, if there was one episode to watch this was it: KITT vs KARR. In the original series KARR was the evil prototype Trans Am that would eventually become our noble crimefighting KITT. In the new series KARR was the evil Mustang/Transformer that would eventually become the new KITT, the Ford Mustang able to transform into any other Ford product available (and somehow a submarine too from what I've heard). Voices by the the original actor, Peter Cullen, the previews showed ANGRY OPTIMUS PRIME trying to destroy KITT. (Peter Cullen was the voice of Optimus Prime in both the cartoon series and the recent movie.) The though of ANGRY OPTIMUS PRIME destroying the horrific new KITT and Michael Knight had appeal to me. I decided to watch the entire show.

NBC writers in their wisdom decided to finally introduce KARR at minute 52 of the show. Oh I see, they'll make this a two parter! FINALLY introduce the BIG BAD near the end of the first episode; therefore, forcing me to commit to a second episode. They want ratings and using horrible writing and sluggish plot development to achieve this! I gave the writers and studio execs too much credit.

On the off chance you actually want to see the show I suggest you stop reading now as I'll ruin it for you otherwise.

Instead of a dramatic cliffhanger, the new and lame Michael Knight with a stripped of his invulnerablity KITT decided to turboboost through the chest of KARR, who is in robot mode. Shouldn't KARR also be invulnerable? Even if KARR isn't invulnerable for some reason the giant killer robot is vulnerable to any redneck who decides to catapult a car though the robotic chest. WTF! That is the lamest killer robot ever!

Almost as bad is the fact KARR had a human in the chest cavity (has to merge with a human for some reason) and that person is now on the ground looking like he's suffering from a cold and a nosebleed. If a car turboboosted through the passenger compartment of your automobile wouldn't you be chunky salsa at this point?

The evil character that spent an entire episode building up to was destroyed in two minutes. THAT WAS THE BIG BAD! If the General Lee, or even worse Roscoe P. Coltrane's police car, could jump off a dirt ramp to destroy your killer robot, then you're not worthy to be KITT's nemesis.

I'm so glad this series has already been canceled. I need more Leverage, Burn Notice, and Battlestar Galactica!

No comments: