Saturday, August 16, 2008

We Need More Mr. Chapels In The World.

I'm at GeekFest for a few hours. I'm finding all sorts of interesting items. I get into one stall and see some interesting DVDs. One package had a personal fav of mine: Vengeance Unlimited. If you don't recall the series I don't blame you. It was a 1998 fan favorite for one season. Too bad more fans preferred Friends in that time slot. If you're familiar with The Equalizer it's the same basic idea. Michael Madsen is Mr. Chapel: a street smart righter of wrongs. If the legal system has screwed you over, don't worry because Mr. Chapel is on the case and will fix the problem. The characters, the writing, the story ideas, the haunting piano in the credits, the background soundtrack, were awesome.

Of course because I loved the show it disappeared after one season.

I plop the DVD into the player and notice the menu is very plain. When I hit play the sound quality isn't good. You hear that old static that truly plagued video tapes all the time when the quality wasn't good. The I notice the station identifying bug in the lower right corner. Channel 5???? OMG this is some friggin' bootleg copy and not an actual studio release. I paid $35 for this! At least the commercials weren't recorded as well.

I'm disappointed by the mediocre quality and the fact the studio will likely never put out an official edition of Vegeance Unlimited. I'm disappointed by the fact I paid $35 for this. On the plus side I've already gone through the first 4 episodes and am still amazed the show is as good now as it was in my memories.

If a one season wonder like Firefly can be made into a well loved, seldom seen movie, why not Vengeance Unlimited?

"Every day when I wake up I try to imagine the kind of world I want to live in. I can actually picture it in my mind. It wouldn't be a paradise. There would still be traffic jams, and bad coffee, and award shows. But I tell you what there wouldn't be, nobody like you. The rich, arrogant, lying, selfish. Not one single one of you left on the face of the earth.

I don't just sit around dreaming about this. I work at it, I work very hard every day to make it real. In fact, I'm about 3 seconds away from making it happen."

-Mr. Chapel
Vengeance Unlimited

No comments: