Tuesday, December 09, 2008

It Never Occurs To People To Be Smart

*In the middle of an interview.*

Me: Okay, so you decided that it was best your mother take care of your child. You were getting back on your feet. I get that. When did you give your mother the child?

Woman: I guess it was spring in 2006.

Me: Did it ever occurs to you to tell someone that you no longer had the child living with you?

Woman: *quizzical look as if this thought has only now occurred to her.*

Me: Haven't you received some welfare benefits since then?

Woman: Sometimes I'm on welfare and sometimes I'm not. It's hard to keep track.

Me: Are you aware the welfare office still have the child listed as living with you and not your mother?

Woman: No, why does that matter?

Me: I'm pretty sure part of your welfare benefits are related to how many children you have living with you at the time. With the extra child you get extra benefits.

Woman: Oh. Is that wrong?

*I bang head on the table at this point.*

No comments: