This would be my third(?) hearing. No wait, I think it was my second hearing. The guy already accepted the plea agreement so I needed to just answer a few questions and say a few major words. The judge, defense counsel, and the defendant would do most of the heavy lifting. I may be new to this real world lawyer thing, but I've been around the block a few times.
Most people say they're sorry when they get caught. This guy was different. His rehab had been going well for the year. He was on Step 8 on the 12 Step Program. Even the judge didn't know what Step 8 was since no one ever seems to get that far. The sponsoring witness remarked how much more mature and less angry the defendant was compared to the beginning of the program. Could this be the 1 in 100 guy who realizes that is downward slope in life really needs to be stopped before he hits rock bottom?
Few people live a charmed life. My own life has lots of rough patches. When looking at these people I know my life could be like theirs but for a few choices or circumstances difference. On paper I wanted to throw the book at him. I had to press for a severe punishment, but I was curious about the ruling. The judge was crafty and came up with something just and fair. He had to stay in rehab, that time would count towards his sentence, but it wasn't good time so no days off the sentence for good behavior. If he screwed up the full sentence would be imposed.
Okay sir you get a shot to better your life. I hope you make good use of your second chance.
Ford shoots down latest rumor of a Fiesta RS
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment