Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Numbers Don't Look Good.

In response to rising gas prices some employers are offering 4 day work weeks with extended hours. Many people are jumping on the chance to commute one less day a week, spend time with family, and get personal things done.

Small Town isn't offering such a policy.

Our office is so small we couldn't serve people if we split the staff up into 4 day shifts and still cover a 5 day week for the public. The days we have been down 1 or 2 people due to vacations and illness put too big a strain on the rest of us.

Yet if such a policy were in place I would take it in a heartbeat. A third non-working day to my life would help me get so many things done. It would help my finances a bit too. I got my credit card bill today. I spent more on gasoline for my commute than I did on my student loan payment!

I think the American middle class is finally dying. We're certainly struggling mightily now.

No comments: