Saturday, July 19, 2008

I Disagree. Darth Vader Shall Always Be #1.

Lists are often created to be a source of debate. Someone came up with the list of the best movie villains of all time. I do like the list because it isn't focused solely on the modern era. It has villains from the 1930's, the 1950's, and many icons from the last 30 years. I'll give preview of some of my favorites; Khan, the T-1000 Terminator, and Hans Gruber are on the list. These are the villains that made the best of the good guys so good.

My problem with the list is Darth Vader is NOT #1. He has Jedi magic to kill insolent people with. He has a dark foreboding baritone voice. He had a Darth Star that destroyed planets. He chopped off his own son's hand. He dresses in all black and has a cape. He even a has iconic soundtrack! It is as if the list penalized Lord Vader for George Lucas' crappy rendition of his new trilogy. Darth Vader didn't even really exist until the middle of the middle of the third movie and the character shouldn't be penalized for that.

My Lord, when I finally turn to the Dark Side, you are the evil I aspire to be!

No comments: