I can't say today was a bad day. It was certainly a rough day. Things that take 15 minutes took 60 minutes. Things I've done once or twice before I completely forgot how to do today. A deposition I was covering for took twice as long as I expected.
The one file that I didn't get to last week because it was a guilty plea I got to today. About 10 minutes before the hearing I noticed the guilty plea was to a charge not originally filed. That might be okay if an amended charge was in the file, but I didn't see one. I saw some trial notes so the case looked like it was going to trial before a plea was accepted. Okay why was the accepted charge so low compared to the original charges? The attorney in that court noted that I would have to file a continuance and amend the charges. The judge lightly grilled me. I hate not having answers to questions. Thankfully defense counsel supplied a few answers. Ugh. At least no jail time is involved for this case so the defendant isn't getting screwed that way. I'm sure he just wants some finality.
"Can you fill in for a few hearings?" It sounded like a simple request. I could take notes about dates and times of the next hearings. Oh wait here's a surprise probation violation with the probation officer here. I'm so glad the defense lawyers do most of the work in the hearings. I'm hoping my deer in the headlights look wasn't too obvious.
I've never cross edited two documents at the same time before. After 3 or 4 hardcopies I managed to get both docs straightened out. It didn't help they were the same motion for 2 different cases.
Mondays just suck sometimes.
Ford shoots down latest rumor of a Fiesta RS
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment