Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Not Even The Titanic Got This Swamped.

Last week was a bad week at work. By bad I mean insanely busy. I stayed in my office to well past 6:00 p.m. on both Tuesday and Wednesday to prepare for Thursday. I already knew last Thursday was going to be miserable. I was proven right in ways I didn't even expect. My boss decided to leave that afternoon on a pretty flimsy excuse after 3:00 p.m. Our 1 o'clocks didn't start on time so the 2 o'clocks didn't start on time so when the boss left at 3 o'clock I had to deal with every single hearing. I suddenly realized all the little things we do together on those Thursdays that I had to do by myself. It just slowed the court down as I couldn't multitask as much as I needed to. I got home at 7:00 p.m. that night.

Friday morning was the exhaustion hangover as I simply wasn't productive. To make matters worse I had to deal with every single hearing Friday afternoon. My boss had to leave yet again! I do recall him mentioning he had to leave early a few days earlier, but I thought he was talking about 3 in the afternoon. At least the excuse was somewhat reasonable. I dread Friday afternoons in this one court as we never get out on time. I was proven right once again as I left just after 5:00 p.m.

I hoped to make it into the office last weekend to catch up on things. I never made it down to Small Town. I didn't even wake up until 11:00 a.m. on Saturday because I was so exhausted. This week I was still exhausted and unproductive. Fighting allergies or a cold or the sniffles wasn't speeding things up either. I knew tomorrow, yet another Thursday, would be bad, but I figured I could use the afternoon to prep. Instead I spent all afternoon in my Friday court on TWO hearings! The Friday judge got two friggin' hearings done in the afternoon. After the first hearing, the other attorney and I discussed if it could have been any more disjointed. I figured a kitchen sink could have been thrown in somehow! When I finally got to my office Pushy Clerk let me know my boss wasn't happy having to cover 2 hearings of mine. Oh really. Pot, kettle, black! Besides one of mine didn't even show up.

For most people it was quiting time. For me it was just getting started! A few files I couldn't even find. I prepped the ones I had, then I noticed some cases that were in my day planner, but not on our office calendar. Most of the ones in my day planner were still valid. *Deep sigh* I think I found most of them and did some quick prep work. By 7:00 p.m. our network is shutting down so I decided to leave.

I'm just so tired now. I honestly don't know how much longer I can take this workload.

No comments: