Thursday, April 23, 2009

Doesn't That Sound Like Someone Else We Know?

The funeral is this afternoon. The long viewing was last night. The more I tried to sneak out of work early the more things conspired to keep me in the office. Every file for today was prepped with copious notes. Thursdays are our busy days, but strangely I didn't have that many hearings I needed to pawn off. I managed to get out on time. That never happens.

Family, family friends, extended family, and plenty of people I had no idea who they are were at the funeral home for the viewing. A video slideshow was on a large TV. Photos of Grandpa's parents and siblings. Photos of him in his garden. A wedding photo of him in his army uniform with Grandma 66 years ago. Photos of him with his trucks, cars, and RVs. Photos of him with family at various holiday including last Christmas. I doubt Grandpa had any regrets in life. He pretty much got to do anything he wanted to. He was retired and enjoying life for as long as he worked toward that retirement.

My mother, Grandma, and extended relative (a great-uncle or second cousin perhaps), and I were standing next to the open coffin. We were talking and I suggested my thoughts on a few things. Grandma just tilted her head towards her husband and said, "Doesn't that sound like someone else we know?"

I'm okay with that comparison.

Today is the first warm and sunny day we've had in weeks. The rain we've had for the past week has broke. Rain during a funeral looks dramatic on TV and in a movie, but in real life it is simply insult to injury. Time for a hot shower and a good black suit. See y'all later.

No comments: